Our Freshman Year Experience
The UMD IMPULSE faculty team built
on the results of several previous successful undergraduate experiments
at other universities, such as those at RPI  and in the NSF Foundation
Coalition . The new program, called IMPULSE (integrated math,
physics and undergraduate laboratory science, and engineering) [3,7,8]:
- Integrated multiple subjects
- Taught and required teamwork among students and faculty
- Used active and cooperative learning
- Encourage formation of learning community of students and faculty
- Included rigorous assessment to evaluate and improve performance.
Many courses in IMPULSE were developed to exploit a technology-intensive classroom to improve learning.